“We seek to restore financial restitution to victims, to incarcerate the perpetrators, and to educate the public and prevent these crimes from being committed.”
The Economic Crime Unit is comprised of skilled litigators who work with local, state, and federal investigators to prosecute complex cases of financial crime and government corruption.
We prosecute cases involving:
- Licensed professionals who use their position of trust to commit crimes.
- Public officials, who misuse the public trust
- Highly complex, sophisticated schemes of theft
Issues related to felony gambling
- All State of Ohio Department of Taxation cases relating to non-filing or non-payment of taxes
- Real estate fraud, including predatory lending and mortgage fraud
The Unit contains two specialized sections.
- The General Section handles all non-real estate fraud cases. It is comprised of 3 prosecutors with a combined experience of 50 years prosecuting cases. Their training and expertise enables us to handle some of the most complex cases in the office.
- The Predatory Lending Section handles all cases related to real estate or mortgage fraud. Potential targets include lenders, brokers, purchasers or appraisers that corrupt the lending process.
The Economic Crime Unit was formally organized on November 1, 1994. Over the last thirteen years the “Economic Crime Unit” (ECU) has handled thousands of cases, including some of the most complicated high profile cases in the county’s law enhancement rich history.
Our primary purpose is to convict individuals for non-violent theft offenses that cause financial devastation to the victims. The ECU has recovered millions of dollars for victims/citizens of Cuyahoga County resulting in successful prosecutions of dishonest lawyers, accountants, and stockbrokers for the theft of client funds.
The Unit’s expertise extends to the high profile prosecution of doctors and nurses who have mistreated their patients and defrauded health insurance providers.
The assistant prosecutors who work in this unit possess the experience and expertise that has made them frequent speakers at seminars not only in Cuyahoga County but across the United States.
We handle nearly 400 cases a year, collecting millions of dollars annually in restitution for victims.
Recent Press Releases - Economic Crime