Cuyahoga County

Jones sentenced for murder of 21-Year-Old Jared Plesec and Crime Spree that Followed


Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley announced that William T. Jones, 27, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus 154.5 years, for a December crime spree that began with the murder of Jared Fier-Plesec and ended after a series of carjackings, assaults, and a shooting in the Metroparks.

In April, Jones pled guilty to all 35 charges in the indictment including Aggravated Murder, Murder, Attempted Murder, Aggravated Robbery, Felonious Assault, Burglary, Vandalism, Discharging a Firearm on or Near Prohibited Premises, Grand Theft, and Failure to Comply.

“The murder of Jared Plesec and subsequent crime spree has impacted numerous families and communities throughout this county,” said Prosecutor O’Malley. ”It is fitting that he received life in prison without the possibility of parole, and more than a century consecutive to that for good measure.”

On the morning of December 2, Plesec, 21, dressed in his Salvation Army uniform, was discussing the Bible with another person in the lobby of the Euclid Beach Villa. After briefly listening to their conversation, Jones stepped away, pulled out a gun, and walked up to Plesec and shot him point blank in the head. He was killed instantly.

Jones fled the scene and attempted to rob two males at gunpoint of their vehicle on E. 156th Street. The driver did not stop and Jones fired three rounds at them. Jones then robbed a female at gunpoint on the same street, taking her vehicle. He drove to the E. 72nd Marina and robbed a 53-year-old male of his vehicle.

Jones drove the stolen vehicle into the City of Lakewood. As he was driving at a high rate of speed through the Metroparks near the Lakewood/Rocky River border, a group of joggers yelled for him to slow down. Jones stopped the car and opened fire on the group, striking a 36-year-old female in the leg. The victim sustained serious injuries.

He attempted a fourth carjacking on the exit road out of the Metroparks, which failed. Jones threw his now-empty gun into a field at the Metroparks, where it was recovered by police.

Jones then stole a pick-up-truck on Sloan Avenue in Lakewood. It was unoccupied with keys in the ignition. He drove the pick-up through Lakewood until he abandoned it in front of Marine Towers on Edgewater Drive.

Jones entered the Marine Towers parking garage where he encountered a 56-year-old female. Jones assaulted her by throwing her on the ground as he stole her car. He crashed the car through the closed garage doors and then struck several vehicles on Edgewater Drive before the Lakewood Police apprehended him.