Cuyahoga County

Tyrone Leegrand Sentenced to Life in Prison for Murder of Michael Prock



CLEVELAND – Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley announced that Tyrone Leegrand was sentenced to Life in prison for the murder of Michael Prock.  Leegrand will be eligible for parole after 18 years.

“Michael Prock was a hardworking man who was simply trying to earn a living,” said Prosecutor O’Malley.  “The persistent investigatory efforts of the Cleveland Police Homicide Unit helped bring justice for the victim’s family.”

On June 11th, 2015, Tyrone Leegrand, 26, called a nearby pizza shop and placed an order to be delivered to a residence near Bridge Avenue and W 59th Street.  Michael Prock, 41, the pizza shop’s delivery driver, arrived near the residence and parked his car along the street.  Leegrand approached the driver’s side of the victim’s vehicle brandishing a handgun.  As the victim drove away, Leegrand fired multiple rounds at his vehicle.  The victim was shot and lost consciousness before his car veered off the road and struck a tree.  Leegrand ran away and took a bus to Akron.

Neighbors called police after hearing the crash. Cleveland Police officers and Cleveland EMS personnel responded to the scene and located the victim unresponsive in the driver’s seat of the disabled car.  They noticed the back windshield and rear passenger side window were shattered and observed the victim suffering from a gunshot wound to his upper back.  Medics on scene pronounced the victim deceased shortly thereafter.

Investigation conducted by Cleveland Police, the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office, Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office, Akron Police, Summit County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation connected Tyrone Leegrand to the murder. Investigators linked a phone and shell casings recovered at the crime scene to the defendant.  Outgoing calls on the recovered phone were made to known associates of Leegrand.  A gun found in an Akron apartment linked to the defendant was matched to the shell casings recovered on scene.  

Leegrand had told his girlfriend that he had committed the homicide and showed her the gun he used.  He made the same confession to another female friend. Both females testified to the confessions during trial.  Leegrand had also discussed the homicide during jails calls with relatives.  He was serving a three-year prison sentence for robbing a 76-year-old woman in Cleveland in July 2016.

Prosecutors called 23 witnesses to testify in trial that lasted 10 days. The Jury found Leegrand guilty of Murder, Felonious Assault, Carrying A Concealed Weapon, Having Weapons Under Disability, and Tampering With Evidence. He was sentenced to Life in prison with parole eligibility after 18 years.